Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Day 202 - Churches and the Seaside of Barcelona

 Today was a relaxed day since I spent the early day packing and unpacking to another Hostel in the city. It had a skateboarding theme and was one of the more luxurious hostels I've been to. It reminded me of the hostel I stayed at in Penang, Malaysia.

After getting situated, I headed to the Mediterranean seaside in Barcelona, where there was an extension of the Las Ramblas pedestrian walkway out across the sea. Street sellers lined the bridge with souvenirs and fake luxury brand merchandise, and seagulls hovered closely to pedestrians, looking for someone to feed them. It was cold near the sea, but I stayed for an hour just enjoying people watching and reading a book.

I headed back up Las Ramblas, the seedy walkway lined with talented painters, newspaper stands, street artists, sidewalk restaurants, and purse snatchers (or so I've heard). Nearby was the Gothic Catedral and the Esglesia de Santa Maria del Mar, two of the city's most famous churches.

I spent the rest of the night walking through the small alleyways and seeing what I could discover in the nooks. By the end of the night, I ended back at the Arc de Triomph before heading back to the hostel.


Monument a Colom (Columbus)





Gothic Catedral


Esglesia de Santa Maria del Mar

No comments:

Post a Comment