Monday, March 7, 2011

eat. pray. love.

I was finally able to watch Eat Pray Love, starring Julia Roberts, Javier Bardem, James Franco, et. al.
I found the movie to be a beautiful look at what could possibly happen on my journey, just meeting great people, eating great food, and being surrounded by different cultures and different environments. I do hope to learn a lot more about myself through my journey.

A good friend of mine said that people shouldn't really say that they are out to "find themselves" because it isn't possible. A person is constantly changing and evolving everyday, and to imply that they will "find themselves" somehow means that they will figure out who they are as if they were static, never changing.

I don't know if I was able to really learn much from the movie. It would have to be a lot longer and drawn out to really affect the viewer, but given the fact that 3 stories had to be told in the span of 2 hours, there was a lot less emotional connection for the viewer. I was told to enjoy food, learn to forgive, forget fear, and keep balance in my life, but really didn't get a deep look at the reasons why Julia Roberts was in the plight she was in. The relationships she had with the people she met were short-lived and superficial, and left less of an emotional impact on me. 

I did however come up with some ideas of what I wanted to learn to do while on this trip:

1) Learn to relax, meditate, and be OK with a slow-paced environment - All my life, I've learned to work hard and be as efficient as possible, meaning to work quickly to get the job done while maintaining quality. I've learned to be impatient and stressed out at everything I felt was slow, whether it be traffic, a conversation with another person, working and training colleagues, reading a book, learning a new instrument, doing my own research, etc. I think this has really had a negative effect on many aspects of my life and health. Maybe I'll purchase a motorbike and take a 30 day journey from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam? Got the idea at offtrackplanet: http://offtrackplanet.com/featured/how-to-ride-a-motorcycle-across-south-east-asia-a-step-by-step-guide/

2) Learn the importance of things other than money - I can't help but measure success and happiness by how much money I will make in life, but I know that there are other things to be happy about and success can be measured in many different ways.

3) Learn to be more extroverted - I'm socially awkward. I hope to open up and be able to make new friends with the locals and expats where ever I am. Maybe I'll stay at a hostel for a couple of days to meet people who are in the same situation as me. Maybe I'll find a place to couchsurf (www.couchsurfers.org)?





No comments:

Post a Comment