Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 41 - Manila - Malls and More Malls

Manila is home to numerous shopping centers including the 3rd largest Mall in the world – Mall of Asia. I remember asking some of my Filipino friends back home for advice on what to do in Manila. Some of them had no clue. Some of them said to visit the malls, or at least go inside to use the air conditioning. So I came to the Manila without a clue on what to do.

Woke up pretty late and got some lunch with Benny. We went to a local fast food restaurant. I got some Shrimp and Adobong Pusit (Squid). I think the squid dish is another one of my favorites so far, after first eating it in Boracay.

In the afternoon, I met up with my friend Ziggy, who happens to be a fashion designer in the Philippines (www.ziggysavella.com) to get some measurements since I wanted to purchase a customized jacket that I saw him wearing the day prior. His prices were very affordable, and it'd be nice to get something customized since I didn't get anything in Vietnam.

Afterwards, I met up with my friend Mark, who said he'd take me to the “Fort” which I assumed would be some sort of historical Fort from the war where I would get some good photo ops. We took the local bus there, and I started getting headaches, probably from the combination of the bumpy roads and the pollution in the city. By the time we arrived at the “Fort” I realized that he had just taken me to another shopping mall... So in the past two days... I've seen Malls and More Malls... We laughed it off and just walked around and grabbed a couple beers.

At night, I got a chance to see the nightlife that Manila offered. Headed out to a Japanese/Korean restaurant for some soju drinks before going to a nightclub called Kyss. Kylie Minogue was to perform in the Philippines for the first time ever in the coming week, so it was “Kylie Night” that night. A good mix of Pop and Hip Hop was played throughout the night.

Got the Malls and Nightlife down in Manila. Hopefully I'll see some more historical sights soon, but not before going to a friend's family birthday party for their 80 year old Lolo.

Fast Food Breakfast - Shrimp and Adobong Pusit

Local Bus Transporation to the Fort

The Fort

No comments:

Post a Comment