Friday, July 15, 2011

Day 46 - Kuala Lumpur and the Petronas Towers

Took a flight to Kuala Lumpur before headed to Laos because Airasia only had flights going from Manila to KL, and then KL to Laos. Since I had this layover, I decided to stay one night in KL to check it out. I at least wanted to check out the Petronas Towers, since they used to be the tallest buildings in the world, but still hold the record for tallest twin towers in the world.

We arrived at LCCT (Low Cost Carrier Terminal), which is separate from the main international airport. All Air Asia flights fly out from this terminal. I had to take a shuttle bus to the train station in order to get to the main station (Sentral Station). The entire city is linked by numerous railways, which makes it a lot easier to navigate and travel through.

I didn't have much knowledge of Malaysia before coming here, and I didn't realize that it was a predominantly Muslim nation. Most of the women covered their heads with scarves. I felt uncomfortable walking around, but only due to the fact that this was something I never really experienced before, and the media has a way of instilling fear in all of us when we think about the Muslim religion. I definitely wish I could have stayed longer than one night, as I would have loved to just learn more about the people here... And there was also a month long festival in KL that I would be missing...

It was already around 5PM when I checked into my hotel, so I took a quick shower and headed out to figure out how to get to the Petronas Towers before it was too late. It was only about 3 stops from the nearest train station (Masjid Jamek). The towers are really something beautiful, especially glowing in the night sky. Just look at the pictures below. They just seem so grand!

Afterwards, I headed back to my hotel, but walked around the local night “bazar” in search of some good street food. I found the food market and looked around for some authentic Malaysian food. Lucky I asked the food vendors, or else I would have eaten Indian food. I settled on a Malaysian buffet dinner and got a bunch of random food that I don't know the names of. Some of the food was pretty spicy.

With a full stomach, I headed back to my hotel, feeling accomplished of the objectives at hand for this one-night trip to Kuala Lumpur.


Petronas Towers

Transit System to Sentral Station


Petronas Towers

My Stop to my Hotel

Head Scarf Shop

Malaysian Buffet


I Saw this Sign inside the 7-Eleven

No comments:

Post a Comment