Friday, August 5, 2011

Day 66 - Myanmar Embassy and Wat Pho

Woke up early to head to the Myanmar Embassy to apply for my 30 day visa to the country. I booked my flight for July 31, since I had to be out of Thailand by that date. I plan on visiting for about three weeks, give or take. Getting out of Khao San road using local transportation is difficult because there aren't any subways or sky trains near the old city. It's a good spot for you to visit some of the famous temples and the Grand Palace though.

I ended up taking a boat down the Chao Phraya River to get to the embassy. It was a convienent and quick way to get around a city full of gridlock road traffic throughout the day.

Afterwards, I met up with Quang at Wat Pho, which I had already visited with my family over a month ago. It was cool to see everything again though. You get to see some of the things you missed the first time around, when it was blazing hot outside. The weather today wasn't too bad and we got to explore the grounds a little more.

Afterwards, we took another boat ride down the river to Chinatown to grab some food and check out some of the bargains at the wholesale markets. By the time we wanted to leave, there was rush hour traffic and no taxi would take us back to Khao San road without paying a premium, so we took the boat back up.

We ended up getting lost along the river because the boat didn't stop at our pier. We took a couple transfers back and forth along the river, until we reached yet another University. For some reason, I feel like I always get lost at a university. Luckily, we were able to walk our way back to our hotel.

At night, we met up with Quang's friend, who took us to Silom road, where we had dinner and went to the infamous Patpong district to see what was offered there...


No comments:

Post a Comment