Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day 102 - Meeting an Old College Friend in Bangkok


The train arrived at the Hualomphong Station in Bangkok at around 11am and I waited there to meet up with an old college friend who I hadn't spoken to since we graduated from UCLA! She got in touch with me after seeing my blogposts and was planning her own trip around southeast Asia, starting in Bangkok. We were lucky to catch each other since she just started her trip a couple days before my arrival.

We spent most of the afternoon chatting and catching up over lunch and tea, reminiscing on the good days in undergrad, when we had a couple of economics classes together and shared mutual friends. She had just graduated from Yale Law, where she received her Juris Doctorate and finished the California Bar Exam, waiting for her results and starting her career in Los Angeles as a lawyer in October. All sorts of exhausted, she needed a break and made the choice to travel southeast Asia for the short time she had before starting her career. We talked relationships, romance, UCLA life, law school experiences, and my experiences travelling so far. I gave her some advice on some of the routes to take, and encouraged her to go to Vietnam, despite what other people had told her! I wished we could travel together some more, but she was headed to Chiang Mai tonight, and I was headed to India in about a week.

After saying our goodbyes, I checked into my hotel and headed to the airport to pick up my friend from the Philippines, who I'd be travelling with for another week in Bangkok.

Carel and Me

No comments:

Post a Comment