Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day 99 - Touring Malacca/Melaka


I spent the majority of the day taking a walking tour of the city since my bus ride to Penang was at 10pm. Most of the major attractions were all situated in a small part of the city, including many museums about the history of the city and its inhabitants.

I visited the Stadhuys (Ethnography) Museum, the Literature Museum, the Governor's Museum, St. Paul's Church, the Melaka Sultanate Palace, and the Kite Museum. The things that interested me most were the bits and pieces about the blending of cultures between all the people that lived in the city in the past, including Malay, Chinese, Indian, and Portuguese. It was interesting to see the changes in wardrobe, customs, and food between Malay and/or Chinese, compared to Nyonya (a mix of Malay and Chinese) because you could see the influences from both cultures.

I headed back to Jonker Street in the evening to see if I could find some more goodies to try. I had the chicken rice balls again, and decided that I would try some durian fruit since it is ever so popular in this country, despite it smelling like stinky feet. I tried Durian Cendal, which is a popular shaved ice dessert in the country. It was edible, but I wasn't a fan of the taste of the fruit. I gave it another shot by trying some durian egg roll pastries, but again, it didn't do anything for me. I ate dessert, but the aftertaste in my mouth was as if I had just had some sort of savory dinner instead of something sweet...



St. Paul's Church

Sultanate Palace

Different royal headwear was on display at the Sultanate Palace, distinguished by the different folds.

The mannequins on display at all the museums had hilarious facial expressions. I spy Michael Jackson?

Kite Museum




Various Durian Desserts

No comments:

Post a Comment