Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day 85 - Worst Bus Ride in Myanmar

So far the worst bus ride in Myanmar today! I woke up at 3am to catch a 4am bus ride from Bagan to Kalaw, a city in the mountains with many trekking opportunities. The bus was a minivan without any air-conditioning, and again, they packed the bus with as many people as possible, both inside and on top of the bus.

All of this would have been fine, had I not gotten stuck with the WORST seat on the bus...I was in the middle seat in the back row, without a headrest, and no handrests to hold onto while the bus traversed up the rocky and windy roads towards Kalaw. There was little room to move, and my feet couldn't reach the floor when I sat up straight, so I had to slouch half the time. The whole ride took 10 hours...!!!

By the time we arrived in Kalaw, I just took a fatty nap for about 3 hours before heading to town to grab some Nepali food, finally some good food! You may have noticed that I have not been posting too many food pictures from Myanmar, partially due to my disappointment with most of the food I had eaten so far. Everything is oily and bland... The curries are usually meat dishes soaked in oil, with a little bit of curry at the bottom of the dish. I ended up splurging on imported Thailand knock-off Pringles chips because I didn't want any of the other food...

I ended up just taking it easy today. The climate was cooler than Pyin Oo Lwin, which is a nice change from the heat in Bagan.

Tomorrow I head on a 3 day/2 night hiking trek through Kalaw, headed to Inle Lake, and stopping at local villages, monasteries, and guest houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment